For our TL:DR generation, my eight truths:
1. Experience is all that exists. Noticing it is valuable.
2. We’re already dead. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
3. Wherever you are, whoever you are, I’m beginning to think we’re very similar.
4. Vulnerability is the centre of goodness.
5. To express experience, you need to give your whole heart.
6. Fail hard to progress fast.
7. Scare yourself always.
8. Haters gonna hate. Likers gonna like.
On this foundation, I look forward to throwing open the doors to the beginnings of living the honest and exhilarating parts of my life through the glass window of the internet in unabashed autobiography.
I’m working towards sharing with grace the stories from my excited existence.
Whilst I build those, there’s still my notes.
- Experience is all that exists. Noticing it is valuable — David Foster Wallace’s commencement address at Kenyon College, This is Water, 2005.
- We’re already dead. There is no reason not to follow your heart — Steve Jobs’ Commencement address at Stanford University, 2005.
- Wherever you are, whoever you are, I’m beginning to think we’re very similar — Frank Ocean’s coming out letter, 2012.
- Vulnerability is the centre of goodness — Brene Brown’s TED talk, The Power of Vulnerability, 2010.
- To express experience, you need to give your whole heart — Letter of advice from F. Scott Fitzgerald to an aspiring author, 1938.
- Failure hard to progress fast — Startup mantra + Nike’s Fail Harder campaign + advice in the film Art & Copy, 2009.
- Scare yourself always — Milton Erickson quoted by Jad Abumrad in his manifesto, The Terrors & Occasional Virtues of Not Knowing What You’re Doing, 2012.
- Haters gonna hate. Likers gonna like — The Facebook Design Lab, 2012.